Saturday, April 9, 2011

Here, in the Shade





He runs a finger across her waxy, frigid smile.
Cold, yes, and just as biting.
Didn’t they ever warn you
child who plays in the woods? There are
bad things in there
things that will chase you eat you kill you
little girls little whores who don’t listen to their mothers
you think I don’t know
never knew what it felt to be a mother the
warm, soft dependency. Another being hopelessly
attached to you
wrapped in you bonded to you sacred and whole like
God’s love. Waiting for you
every morning before the dawn I’d 
wait for you here, in the shade
On us the rain bleeds, we’d huddle in the dingy dark
sink into the rotting leaves. Make ourselves invisible
Like spires beneath the earth, pushing up and up
teeth from beneath from hell biting
breaking the skin of heaven, drawing thick swells of air
we’d be gasping by the end of it
drenched in sweat like dogs like
God’s love. Waiting for you
every summer before the moon I’d
wait for you here, in the shade
Nothing cleans now nothing breaks this dingy dark 
I am cold, yes, and just as biting
as she was when we first met those 
eyes that loved me feared me hungered me
are pools of glass now frozen
skin that warmed me
burned & fed me cannot tremble at my touch
see? I can kiss you give you now my love
God’s love. little whores who don’t
listen to their fathers you think I didn’t know
don’t know what it felt like to be wasted
wanted. Hunted like an animal loved like a 
spire, I sink my teeth into your thigh 
you don’t move or scream just lay there
with a cold, soft dependency. Hopelessly
attached to me
wrapped in me bonded to me sacred and whole. Like
God’s love.

No comments:

Post a Comment